10 April 2008

some good food i love in argentina


Alfajores - AMAZING cookie/biscuit things. Usually filled with ducle de leche and bathed in sugar. Really popular all over Argentina. Every province has their local alfajor.


Empanadas - Best things ever. A fried or baked pastry, similar to a turnover, filled with different things: beef, chicken, spinach...basically awesome. All places sell them (and deliver them for free!), including fast food places--even the McDonald's around the corner (which I have not been to, thankyouverymuch). I better find some empanada restaurants in SF when I get back.


Milanesa - A thin cut of beef breaded and fried. Apparently really popular in homes and in restaurants. Just really good. A friend of mine cooked me some...yum!


Medialunas and Criollos - Medialunas are kind of like croissants, but buterry-er and smaller. Criollos are biscuity things...both are always served with coffee. Whenever I order coffee without either medialunas or criollos, I get weird looks.




Lomitos - French bread sandwhiches filled with thinly cut steak and a whole bunch of ingredients, like lettuce, tomato, egg. Delish.

However gross you may think my diet is, at my apartment I've actually been eating a steady diet of tuna, yogurt and soup, so I'm staying relatively healthy..and boring. But I loooove my empanadas. Also, the pizza here sucks.

No comments: