That's what one of the city's park signs said! I can see how it's true!

On Friday after class, Abby and I hopped on a bus and cruised 7 hours southeast to Rosario, the third biggest city in Argentina. It's also right on el Rio Paraná, the 2nd biggest river in the country (after the Amazon, of course). In the summer, it's a vacation-destination for Argentines. So while we were there it wasn't as packed as it gets in the summer, but it was great to see water again...I forgot how much I missed it!!

The instant we walked into the hostel we were staying at, Abby and I were instantly invited to an asado being held on the hostel's terrace. Immediately we met a dozen new friends from all over the place: Brazil, Argentina, England, Scotland, Australia. Here's a picture of us chowing down on some awesome meat. The guy to my right is from San Francisco! The other picture is Abby and I with two really fun Argentines.


After a lot of meat, wine, and a couple of special Brazilian cocktails, we all headed out to a boliche named Madame. It's famous, apparently. It bills itself as being the biggest nightclub in Argentina. Whether or not this is true, it was still ENORMOUS. Five floors, different music, a swimming pool outside. Definitely one of the most fun clubs I've been to.
On Saturday, Abby and I spent the whole day walking around Rosario. It's a really cool city...it reminds me a lot of parts of Chicago or New York's smaller neighborhoods. We wandered around until we came to the waterfront and all of a sudden our spirits lifted (and so did our hangovers)...it was so good to see water! Being in the dead center of Argentina for two months has its price! We ate a nice long lunch on the water, then walked around some more. We came across two monuments right on the coast. One is a memorial for those killed in The Falkland Islands War, and the other is this HUGE tower (78m high) honoring Manuel Belgrano who created the Argentine flag. It's kind of out of place, it's so big. But we went to the top and took some pictures of the awesome view.


This is Falkland Islands War memorial.

Later we took a boat ride on the river. Definitely a great way to spend the evening.

That night, another asado and another nightclub! And on Sunday we hopped on the first bus back to Córdoba. It was a busy weekend with a great hostel, great food, great nightclubs, great new city.
No comments:
Post a Comment